Director of UCO/Lick Observatory
From: Lori Castro, Interim Assistant Vice Chancellor – Staff Human Resources
Re: 2014-15 Call for Staff Performance Appraisals
Annual Performance appraisals are an essential tool for effective management of employees. They are required for all University career staff employees. Ideally, the performance appraisal process should be a positive, reflective activity that comprehensively summarizes the ongoing discussions between the supervisor and employee that have occurred during the year. To do their best, staff members want to know that their contributions are recognized and acknowledged. This process is also the time to update the job description, discuss goals, plan future work, and establish an employee development plan that supports job specific skills and career aspirations.
Appraisals for the 2014-15 review period must be submitted to the appropriate Staff Human Resources Employee & Labor Relations (ELR) Analyst by Monday August 24, 2015. Managers who are scheduled to leave for the summer months or who supervise staff on summer furloughs, should complete their performance appraisals in June to meet the August 24, 2015 deadline.
Staff Human Resources provides the following resources to support managers and supervisors in completing the appraisals:
Your division may choose to designate one or more specific forms to be used, depending on the job responsibilities for employees being reviewed. Standardized appraisal forms are provided at our Procedures page: Performance Appraisal Instructions for Supervisors.
Your ELR Analyst can provide you with advice and assistance in writing performance appraisals and consultation in advance of the official appraisal meeting with employees. We expect managers and supervisors to consult with their ELR Analyst when writing a performance appraisal that is less than satisfactory or if performance issues exist.
Free training will be offered in the following formats:
- Two hour classroom training sessions, July 14 and August 5.
- Classroom training within your organization will be available upon request.
- An online, self-paced e-course available through the UC Learning Center. Average completion time: 90 minutes.
- This course is part of an 8 module People Management series recently developed by UC Office of the President. Remaining 7 modules will be launched soon.
- Optional one hour classroom, follow-ups to the online training will be offered on July 22 and August 12. These will focus on campus specific requirements and procedures and provide the opportunity to ask questions and have discussion with other supervisors.
Enrollment is required for classroom training. Click for more details and to enroll.
For further information regarding the performance management process and the available training opportunities, do not hit “reply”. Please contact your ELR Analyst or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Executive Vice Chancellor Galloway
Vice Chancellor Latham
Campus Managers and Supervisors
Human Resources Advisory Group
Employee & Labor Relations