Transer of Payroll Expense (TOPE) Overview
If you manage funds for sponsored projects or other UCSC activities, you need to know how to process Transfers of Payroll Expense (TOPE). Explore the links on this page for information and guidelines.
A Transfer of Payroll Expense (TOPE) occurs when payroll charges are moved from one FOAPAL to another after they have been recorded in the operating ledger. If your job duties include processing TOPEs, you must follow specified procedures to fulfill federal, state, and UC requirements.
Submitting TOPE Requests to Staff Human Resources
This is a re-designed service for processing transfers for divisions/units with special needs or limited administrative capacity. To find out if your division/unit currently receives this service, please contact your Staff HR Service Operations Team Supervisor.
For participating divisions/units, TOPE request forms can be faxed or emailed to your SHR Service Operations Specialist. Staff HR will process all TOPE request forms submitted on or before the 15th of the month. All TOPE request forms submitted after the 15th, will be processed as time and other deadlines allow.
- Distribution of Payroll Expense (DOPE)
- OPTRS Manual for Payroll Adjustments
- Guidelines for Establishing PAN Routing
- Accessing Your Transfer of Payroll Expense (TOPE) Data provides step by step details on processing a TOPE.
- Transfer of Payroll Expense Authorization provides details about approval requirements for expense transfers.
- Transfer of Payroll Expense Conditions explains conditions in which you may move expenses from one accounting distribution to another.
- Ways to Avoid Transfer of Payroll Expense provides tips and tools to help reduce the need for an expense transfer.
- Business Objects or Infoview provides account information, instructions, and help resources.
- InfoView: Use Instructions
The following policy applies to all funds:
- System-wide Business and Finance Bulletin A-47 University Direct Costing Procedures
- UC Records Disposition Manual
These policies apply to funds for sponsored projects only:
- Office of Management and Budget Circular No. A-21
- Office of Management and Budget Circular No. A-110
- Extramural Funds
- PPS Basics Training
- Online Payroll Time Reporting System (OPTRS) Transfers Only
- Business Objects/Infoview
- Required for Divisions
- Recommended for Staff HR Service Teams