Employee Time Reporting for March 5, 2015

March 10, 2015

Please distribute to managers and supervisors in your unit

March 10, 2015

To:  UCSC Managers and Supervisors

From:  Lori Castro, Interim Assistant Vice Chancellor, Staff Human Resources and Pamela Peterson, Assistant Vice Chancellor, Academic Personnel

Re:  Employee Time Reporting for March 5, 2015

Thank you for your efforts to ensure your employees’ well-being and to provide services to the campus community during the March 5th protest activities. Campus Provost/Executive Vice Chancellor Galloway has approved administrative leave with pay for employees who were scheduled to report to work March 5th but were unable to do so due to student protest activities. The following information will determine the appropriate pay status and time reporting based upon your employee’s work schedule and whether they are an exempt or non-exempt employee.

Employees who were on approved leave (e.g., vacation, sick, etc.) or who worked at alternative locations will record time in the usual manner.

For workplaces that were accessible (i.e., not on the main campus), if an employee was absent without advance approval to use vacation or compensatory time off and had not called in sick during the protest, the time should be recorded as an unapproved absence and the employee’s pay will be adjusted in accordance with policy and labor agreements.

Non-exempt employees (i.e., paid hourly) who were scheduled to work on March 5th, but did not do so because the campus was inaccessible will record administrative leave with pay on their time sheet. Those employees who came to work for part of their shift will record a combination of regular time worked and administrative leave with pay.

Exempt employees report leave taken in whole day increments; if they worked any portion of March 5, it is considered a normal work day for the purposes of their time sheet. Employees who were unable to work because the campus was inaccessible should record administrative leave with pay on their timesheet.

For questions involving staff and student employees, please contact your Service Operations Specialist. For questions involving academic employees, please contact your Divisional Academic Personnel Coordinator.