Separation – Retirement

I. Policy Summary

Employees who voluntarily separate from employment are considered to have resigned their University employment.

A voluntary separation occurs when an employee separates from University employment due to resignation, retirement or job abandonment.

Requirements for the amount of notice required vary, depending upon personnel program.

An employee who is appointed to a limited or casual/restricted position is automatically terminated as of the last day of the appointment, unless there is an earlier separation or a formal extension of the appointment in writing.

II. Related Policies, Contract Articles and References

  1. Personnel Policies for Staff Members (PPSM) - employees not covered by representation

    • PPSM 61 - Release from Limited or Casual/Restricted Positions

  2. Contract Articles - employees covered by representation

III. Authority

The unit has the authority to process separation paperwork once the employee has submitted their letter of resignation and it is acknowledged by the supervisor in writing; when a limited or casual/restricted appointment ends; when the employee retires; or when the employee fails to report to work as scheduled for five consecutive working days and the notice of intent and response period has ended.

IV. Criteria


V. Process Overview

Locate Your Team

[Top of Page]

VI. Forms/Resources



[Top of Page]

Revised June 2008: A.20b